Saturday, February 12, 2011

Feb 12th

Comments.
*smile*

A few nights ago, while crafting up a storm, we got to talking about this blog.
And a few discovered that you could in fact comment now (after the first few days I had removed that option).
I assured my devotees (*grin*), that yes, they could in fact comment, but I just wouldn't be publishing any of them.  Most of the room were confused as to why.
So in the event, anyone else is wondering the same, I thought I would clarify here.

When I first began this blog, it was mostly just for me.  A daily reminder of all the things in my life that I have to be thankful for.  A reminder to be present, remain present, acknowledge each day, rather than lamenting the past or concerning myself with the future.

I decided to make it public (and tell people) as a way of keeping myself accountable.  I have serious commitment issues and it is just my style to begin something, passionate and full of the best intentions to see it to fruition, but to get bored along the way and busy myself with other projects while it dies a natural, but inevitable death.

The first two comments I received were questions about where I purchased the milk.  Perfectly reasonable questions and completely harmless.  But having them on the blog, sitting there under my post about gratefulness didn't rest well with me.  I wasn't sure why at the time, but going on instinct, I unpublished them and then sat with the feeling to see what would be revealed.

When I talked to my women just recently, about their views on my decision not to publish, I asked them, "If your comment is directed to me, why do you wish to see them published?"  One said she wasn't bothered if her comments were published or not, as they were for the blogger, but she was curious as to my reasons, as she thought it unusual to allow comments, but not publish them.  Another response I received was that their comments were not just for the blogger, they were made to initiate and engage in public discussion.  I had never considered that before!  It was quite an enlightening moment.  And another appreciated the gift of privacy to share her very personal thoughts.  And that is part of the reason why I choose not to publish.

Every post on this blog, is an insight into my life, my view on the world and on my day.  Each post contains a little piece of my heart and soul.  They are mementos to myself.  And it just doesn't feel right having them up for conversation.  I feel any discussion relating to my thoughts of the day has the potential to take the post on a completely different tangent and runs the risk of losing the essence of what I wrote and the reason of why I'm writing.  Of course, it may not always happen that way, but in the event it might, it feels right to keep the comments all to myself - a 'comment horde' I think I was referred to as *smile*.

Which brings me to the second part of the reason, touched on above.  I have received some wonderful, heart-warming responses.  Very special glimpses into the souls of some beautiful people, whom would not have otherwise shared their thoughts and feelings with me, had their comments been made part of a public forum.  

So please, if you feel moved, I would love to hear your thoughts.  I treasure each and every one of them.  And I would love to acknowledge them and you personally, to respond in kind, so a return email address would be wonderful, if you wouldn't mind *smile*


In other news, my latest progress on my first attempt at a knitted doll for Lucy (started last Wednesday at craft night).  Craft and me is a bit like books and me.  I often have a couple of projects on the go.  The little rounds of foam are not altogether forgotten.... just set aside for the moment *smile*.

No comments:

Post a Comment