Thursday, July 14, 2011

July 14th

Oh - the blessing of the extra child!

When the dynamic is right, the combination is magic!
We are minding the child of a friend overnight.  Lucy and A had never met until this evening.  And despite A being three and a bit years older than Lucy, they have not left each other's sides all evening. 




From A reading Lucy story after story, to playing with toy dinosaurs, to creating and play-acting imaginary creatures, to drawing on the windows, to one teaching the other hoop jumping.  Ben and I stopped twiddling our thumbs after 20 minutes, accepted the wonderful fate of the evening and picked up our needle craft *grin*.


It's just gone 9pm and they are still playing - although I did request they put their pajamas on about half an hour ago.  There is laughter, chatter and animal noises coming from down the hall.  We see them occasionally as their play takes them outside of the studio and on location, but mostly they are absorbed in their alternate universe at the end of the hall.





It gives me infinite pleasure to see my velcro baby so happy and content in the company of a person other than her parent.  It's everything I can do to stop myself *checking in*.  I mean, I knew this day would come, obviously!  But I was feeling like it was going to be - I don't know - thirteen years in or something??  A is a gorgeous child.  I feel very blessed we have the pleasure of her company for the next 18 hours or so.




No comments:

Post a Comment